The most chilling concern about Donald Trump is the worldwide fear that he puts our very survival at risk. This is not loose talk or partisanship. It was recently expressed by the most thoughtful experts who monitor the risks to our survival: The Science and Security Board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, who are the keepers of the Doomsday Clock. These experts have just told the world it is “Two and a half minutes to midnight,” where midnight signifies the end of civilization. This is the closest to doom since 1953, when both the United States and Russia first possessed thermonuclear weapons capable of destroying the world.
Let’s not panic. Instead, let’s think, plan, and act. As President John F. Kennedy famously declared, “Our problems are manmade — therefore, they can be solved by man.” The problem of Donald Trump can be solved too, by the institutions of American democracy and the international rule of law.
Read the full article at the Boston Globe.
- The Middle East: Contradictory promises that led to a century of conflict
- Trump and the Doomsday Clock
- Towards a New and Improved Economy on WNYC with Leonard Lopate
- Professor Sachs’ Plan to Rebuild U.S. Economy
- We asked the expert: What’s the future of economics in Trump’s America?