ADDIS ABABA – What does the future hold for the global economy? Will living standards rise worldwide, as today’s poor countries leapfrog technologies to catch up with richer countries? Or will prosperity slip through our fingers as greed and corruption lead us to deplete vital resources and degrade the natural environment on which human well-being depends? Humanity faces no greater challenge than to ensure a world of prosperity rather than a world that lies in ruins.
Like a novel with two possible endings, ours is a story yet to be written in this new century. There is nothing inevitable about the spread – or the collapse – of prosperity. More than we know (or perhaps care to admit), the future is a matter of human choice, not mere prediction.
Read full article at Project Syndicate
- Global Cooperation in the Age of Sustainable Development
- The Path to Sustainable Development
- Live Chat #2: “The Age of Sustainable Development”
- How the AEI Distorts the Climate Debate
- Social Inclusion as a Universal Goal