In his second inaugural address, President Obama offered a stirring vision of the future of America, and the role of the federal government in enabling America to achieve it. He rightly emphasized that “preserving our individual freedoms ultimately requires collective action.” An active federal government is needed, he said, to ensure quality education for all, mobilize new technologies, care for the elderly, fight climate change, and address global poverty.
The challenge he faces — that America faces — is that the vision must be coherent with the budget. This has been the Achilles’ heel of Obama’s government from the start. And if he’s not careful, he could put his powerful vision out of reach by budget blunders in the coming few weeks.
Read full article at the Huffington Post
- The ECB’s New Macroeconomic Realism
- Conversation with Tavis Smiley on President’s SOTU
- Let Greece profit from German history
- Why It’s Time to Raise the Federal Tax on Gasoline
- The War with Radical Islam