The 2008 Supreme Court case District of Columbia v. Heller shows definitively that the Second Amendment is about an archaic issue relevant to 1790, not to 2012. The Second Amendment reads as follows:
“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”
The purpose of the Second Amendment was to prevent the new Federal Government established in 1789 from disarming the state militias and replacing them with a Federal standing army. It was a concern that was relevant perhaps for a few years around the birth of the country. It is irrelevant today. Americans do not rely on state militias in 2012 for our freedom from the federal government.
Read full article at the Huffington Post
- Stop the ISIS War Before It Gets Worse!
- The Price of Scottish Independence
- Let the Middle East Fight Its Own War on ISIS
- Why I am Endorsing Zephyr Teachout and Tim Wu
- Let the Middle East Govern Itself