NEW YORK – When BP and its drilling partners caused the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010, the United States government demanded that BP finance the cleanup, compensate those who suffered damages, and pay criminal penalties for the violations that led to the disaster. BP has already committed more than $20 billion in remediation and penalties. Based on a settlement last week, BP will now pay the largest criminal penalty in US history – $4.5 billion.
- Mayor de Blasio, in Italy Next Week, Will Address a Vatican Conference
- The G-7 Embraces Decarbonization
- Middle East and Climate Change
- Climate Change and the Catholic Church
- ExxonMobil’s Dangerous Business Strategy