Last summer, Mr. President, was a wake-up call for Americans. The drought that hit the US was the most serious in decades, made far worse by soaring temperatures. The months from August 2011 to July 2012 were the hottest consecutive 12 months on the US record. July was the hottest single month in US history.
Americans increasingly understand that humanity is dangerously tampering with the Earth’s climate. Scientists are in overwhelming agreement on that point, except for a very small and loud chorus of professional “contrarians” making their living on the speakers’ circuit. If this were an academic debate, we might be amused by the contrarians. If we had 10 planet Earths for experimentation, we might decide to wait and see what happens next. But we have just one planet Earth, and the odds are very strong that we had better move fast to save it.
Read the full article at Parade
- This Year’s Climate Talks Are Our Last (and Best) Chance to Slow Global Warming
- Greece needs time to negotiate
- The Drug That Is Bankrupting America
- Earth Calling the Financial Sector, with Hendrik du Toit
- The True State of the Union 2015