Today, Ghana’s President John Mahama, UK Secretary of State Andrew Mitchell and I travelled to northern Ghana to announce a new five-year development program for one of the poorest regions of West Africa. Our hope is that through public leadership, community participation, cutting-edge technologies, and private investments, the region will slash poverty, hunger and disease and begin to achieve high and sustained economic growth.
Poverty reduction has entered a new era. Mobile phones and wireless broadband enable new models of business development and service delivery. New methods of prevention, diagnosis and treatment are controlling ancient scourges such as malaria.
Read full post at the Huffington Post
- The Year of Sustainable Development
- Live Q&A: The Age of Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Development Goals for a New Era
- The G20, human health and sustainability:
- Podcast interview with UN Dispatch on MDGs and early career as an economist