Great social change occurs in several ways. A technological breakthrough – the steam engine, computers, the Internet – may play a leading role. Visionaries, such as Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and Nelson Mandela, may inspire a demand for justice. Political leaders may lead a broad reform movement, as with Franklin Roosevelt and the New Deal.
Our own generation urgently needs to spur another era of great social change. This time, we must act to save the planet from a human-induced environmental catastrophe.
Read the full article at Project Syndicate
- New Politics for Clean Energy
- Jeffrey D. Sachs on How to Forge a Grand Bargain on Energy
- From Good Intentions to Deep Decarbonization
- A Path for Climate Change, Beyond Paris
- Sustainable Development Goals on HuffPost LIVE