Great social change occurs in several ways. A technological breakthrough – the steam engine, computers, the Internet – may play a leading role. Visionaries, such as Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and Nelson Mandela, may inspire a demand for justice. Political leaders may lead a broad reform movement, as with Franklin Roosevelt and the New Deal.
Our own generation urgently needs to spur another era of great social change. This time, we must act to save the planet from a human-induced environmental catastrophe.
Read the full article at Project Syndicate
- Jeffrey Sachs on meeting the Sustainable Development Goals – ‘we need a victory of ideas’
- SDG Advocates Introduction at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- Sustainable infrastructure after the Automobile Age
- Economic choices facing the United States: Why we need a new direction
- Sustainable development: a new kind of globalization