Great social change occurs in several ways. A technological breakthrough – the steam engine, computers, the Internet – may play a leading role. Visionaries, such as Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and Nelson Mandela, may inspire a demand for justice. Political leaders may lead a broad reform movement, as with Franklin Roosevelt and the New Deal.
Our own generation urgently needs to spur another era of great social change. This time, we must act to save the planet from a human-induced environmental catastrophe.
Read the full article at Project Syndicate
- Podcast interview with UN Dispatch on MDGs and early career as an economist
- Speaking on the Sustainable Development Goals at Monash Sustainability Institute
- The Limits of Climate Negotiations
- Universal basic education is the millennium goal everyone forgot
- Interview with UNCCD News