Combating climate change will require an expansion of nuclear power, respected economist Jeffrey Sachs said on Thursday, in remarks that are likely to dismay some sections of the environmental movement.
Prof Sachs said atomic energy was needed because it provided a low-carbon source of power, while renewable energy was not making up enough of the world’s energy mix and new technologies such as carbon capture and storage were not progressing fast enough.
“We won’t meet the carbon targets if nuclear is taken off the table,” he said.
Read full article at the Guardian
- On Thomas Hartmann: (Republicans) Have Polluted Our Minds as Well as Our Air & Water
- Sustainable Development Goals and Global Economic Governance at UCL 2/21
- President Trump “dangerously wrong” on climate change
- Jeff Sachs’ and EDF on Trump’s EPA pick
- US must transition to low-carbon energy