Combating climate change will require an expansion of nuclear power, respected economist Jeffrey Sachs said on Thursday, in remarks that are likely to dismay some sections of the environmental movement.
Prof Sachs said atomic energy was needed because it provided a low-carbon source of power, while renewable energy was not making up enough of the world’s energy mix and new technologies such as carbon capture and storage were not progressing fast enough.
“We won’t meet the carbon targets if nuclear is taken off the table,” he said.
Read full article at the Guardian
- The ‘Wall Street Journal’ Parade of Climate Lies
- Five Questions for Jeffrey Sachs On Decarbonizing the Economy
- A low-carbon economy by 2050?
- How to decarbonise the global economy
- Stand Up and Be Counted on Climate Change